Sunday, May 3, 2009

Just Relax

I help coach Special Olympics track every Tuesday and Thursday night. About 100 athletes come to participate for an hour. It is a great time. One of the women who participates, Denise, always asks questions and sometimes is very nervous. We tell her, it's ok, just relax, and she will repeat, "Just relax?" Now, when she is nervous, she will initiate the "just relax" phrase and we repeat to her, "yep, that's right Denise, just relax." I thought what a great way to think about our sometimes busy, hectic lives. We need to take a moment and just relax.

Luke 10:38-40 illustrates this quite well.
"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, 'Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!' 'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.'"

Here is Martha nervous about getting everything done when JESUS CHRIST is in her house, pretty important guy if you ask me. When he says, "Martha, Martha," he is saying "just relax." We ought to relax and revel in the fact Jesus is here. Sometimes our worrying is for not, and we miss the only thing that we need....Jesus Christ. Sometimes when some worrying may be necessary, we must not forget to lift up our worries to God. This song we often sing in our church is based off of Psalm 121.

I lift my eyes up unto the mountains,
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from You, Maker of Heaven,
Creator of the earth.
O how I need You Lord, You are my only hope;
You are my only prayer.
So I will wait for You to come and rescue me,
To come and give me life.
©1990, Mercy / Vineyard PublishingWords and Music by Brian Doerksen

So, busy day, busy week, busy month, busy year? Take a moment and "just relax." And remember God made this earth and won't give you anymore than you can bare.

1 comment: